
The Dodgers shuffled their pitching staff Tuesday and made a notable roster move involving catcher Will Smith before their game against the Phillies.
Right-hander Landon Knack was optioned to Triple-A, while left-hander Charlie Barnes was brought back onto the active roster. To create space for Barnes on the 40-man roster, Smith was shifted to the 60-day injured list.
The move with Smith is procedural, but it also confirms the timeline the Dodgers are working with. He is not expected back until mid-August at the earliest, and the 60-day IL makes him ineligible to return before then.
Smith first sat out a game in early June because of neck stiffness, and at that point the Dodgers did not think the issue would keep him out for more than one game. Instead, the problem lingered, he eventually landed on the injured list, and more than a month later there still hasn’t been much progress. He was recently shut down from baseball activities.
“To be honest with you, right now, he’s taking at least a week off just really doing no activity to hopefully calm his neck down to then build up,” manager Dave Roberts said this past Friday. “Early on, we’ve been trying to get him ready, moving around, doing some baseball stuff, but he hasn’t been able to get over the hump.
“So I think we feel like, no activity, and then we’ll kind of read and react after a week.”
Roberts said the earliest Smith would be back is the middle of August. When asked if the team is counting on him returning or if they didn’t know for sure, he said, “We don’t know, but we’re certainly counting on it.”
Knack’s demotion comes after a rough stretch since he was reinstated from the injured list ahead of the All-Star break. He has made only two appearances since then, giving up five runs in five innings for a 9.00 ERA. He struck out four and walked two, and four of the hits he allowed left the yard.
In parts of three seasons with Los Angeles, Knack has posted a 4.33 ERA with 115 strikeouts across 116.1 innings. The Dodgers drafted him in the second round of the 2020 MLB Draft.
Barnes, meanwhile, is back after re-signing with the club last week following a designation for assignment and his decision to reject an outright assignment in favor of free agency. The 30-year-old has appeared in three big league games for the Dodgers this season. His first two outings were scoreless one-inning appearances, and in his third he allowed seven runs over seven innings while helping the team get through a scheduled “bullpen game.”
“Charlie did a nice job for what was asked of him,” Roberts said after that game. “For him to be able to save everyone else puts us in a great position.”
Barnes now returns as a multi-inning relief option after being claimed off waivers from the Chicago Cubs earlier this year.
In Other News…
Andrew Friedman May Regret What He Gave Kyle Tucker
Kyle Tuckers first season in Los Angeles has been solid enough to keep the Dodgers interested, but not dominant enough to quiet the bigger questions around the contract that brought him here. He has been an average performer on both sides of the ball, which is fine in the moment and a little more complicated when the deal itself is built around flexibility and future decisions.
For Andrew Friedman, the issue is bigger than one players production. He has rarely been willing to hand out this kind of escape hatch, and this agreement marked a notable shift in how the Dodgers were willing to do business. If Tucker keeps trending the way he has, the club may be left weighing not just what it paid for now, but how much control it gave away later.
Dodgers Cut Ties With Young Pitcher After Sudden Downward Turn
A young arm once viewed as a developmental project in the Dodgers system is now looking for a fresh start after a rough turn in the lower minors. Signed as an international free agent in December 2023, he moved through the DSL, ACL and Single-A with mixed results, but the organizations patience finally ran short after a difficult 2026 season at the Single-A level.
The downturn became hard to ignore in early July, when one outing went off the rails and underscored how far things had slipped. For a pitcher still trying to establish himself, the challenge now is less about one bad night than whether he can reset enough to earn another opportunity somewhere else.
Dodgers Fans Are Bracing For Another KAWS Collector Rush
The latest KAWS x MLB drop is lining up to give Dodgers fans another crack at one of the sports most buzzed-about collector releases. Set to go live Monday at 9 a.m. PT, the collection celebrates both the Dodgers and Yankees and will be sold through retailers such as Complex, Fanatics.com and MLBShop.com, with apparel, baseball gear and Topps trading cards carrying KAWS familiar design language.
It already made its debut at Fanatics Fest and will be available globally, but local access still comes with a small wait. Dodgers team stores are not expected to start carrying the collection until July 31, which means the first wave of demand figures to hit online first before it reaches Dodger Stadium and the clubs retail outlets.